A successful book launch is about creating a friendly ambiance at a fantastic location like Zov’s Bistro.
Everyone loves to feel welcomed, and part of a “like-minded” group.
An event based on a theme, great food, delicious wine and a warm atmosphere, is critical in creating that special “atmosphere.”
I try to offer the same when I invite people to my book launches.
As I wrote in How to Create a Successful Book Launch à la “Academy Awards”, it takes planning and inviting people who are interested in the theme of your book, as well as entertaining everyone.
This year, for the launch of our 2nd My Gutsy Story® Anthology: Taking Chances and Changing Your Life, I invited a panel of 4 speakers and merged the Peace Corps as a way to show where I hope to start the new chapter of my next “gutsy” adventure in my life.
I invited Ann Pulice Owens to moderate our event. Ann is an Emmy/Golden Mic award-winning journalist serving as co-anchor of PBS SoCal’s (KOCE-TV) “Real Orange,” did a fantastic job of introducing the panelists and keeping us on track.
Our wonderful audience signed up and entered the raffle with my volunteer friend, Sylvia McDonald, the amazing organizer.
Our enthusiastic audience:
Our panel of “Gutsy” authors.
Our panel consisted of :
Sonia Marsh (ME):
- Sonia Marsh: Award-winning author of Freeways to Flip-flops and founder of the My Gutsy Story®
- Julia Capizzi: This dynamic bilingual Peace Corps volunteer turned professional Peace Corps recruiter has lived abroad in El Salvador and Bolivia.
- Colleen Hannegan: Author and professional speaker, certified business advisor and personal life coach for women in transition.
- Mariana Williams: Author and founder of the “Long Beach Searches for Greatest Storyteller,” married to Oscar-winning singer/songwriter Paul Williams.
- Jonathan Yanez: Went from renting cars, to following his dream of becoming an author. His three-book series publishing contract has now been optioned for film.
My wonderful editor Eve Gumpel, if you are a writer and need a fabulous editor.
Barbara Kimler, my wonderful publicist.
Suzanne Chun from “The Examiner” took notes and many photos here are from her, as well as Barbara Kimler.
Tips to a Successful book launch
- Start 3-4 months before
- Offer a panel of speakers to entertain your audience based on your book’s theme
- Have a moderator (locally famous if you can)
- Hire a local publicist to help you get local media attention
- Think outside the box of what organization might be relevant to your book’s topic and invite them to join
- Pick a nice venue
- Offer food and wine
- Charge people for the food and wine, and offer a “free” book to everyone
- Sign up with Eventbrite on FB
- Use the Eventbrite countdown widget on your blog (Contact me if you need help with this or any marketing suggestions)
- Offer great door prizes
- Make each person on your panel speak for 5 minutes or so
- Engage the audience and get the moderator to have Q & A
- Invite everyone to review your book on Amazon
- Be kind, helpful and chat with everyone
NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS
Get Published in our 3rd
“My Gutsy Story®”Anthology in 2015
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES HERE
2013 Benjamin Franklin Honoree Winner
2014 International Book Awards FINALIST
2014 WINNER of the PARIS BOOK FESTIVAL
We just won our 4th Award for the Anthology.
CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT ABOUT OUR AWARDS.
Congratulations on having such a good event! If I ever write a book, get it published, and have a book launch, I’ll come back and check these notes.
But considering I’m most unlikely to write a book, I’m not too worried about any of that.
Blessings and Bear hugs!
Rob-bear recently posted..ANOTHER BAD DAY
Sonia Marsh says
Thanks Rob-bear. I hope you do have your own book launch.