I’m tired of being politically correct so once again, I’m going to be “Gutsy” and say what I think.
In my recent article, “Do authors make money? The real truth,” I emphasized one point:
- Don’t quit your day job
This is all fantastic and I’m loving it, however, like my author-blogger friend, Susan Weidener, said in her recent post: “So Much (Little) for Digital Book Sellers”:
“I ponder new ways to market and promote my books. As John Lennon said, I just “keep on keeping on.” Selling books, one at a time – still, hopeful, checking my Amazon rankings, although less and less. Frankly, it’s just too discouraging.But I’m a writer. I have to write.” — Susan Weidener.
I’m not trying to discourage writers to keep writing and marketing their books, heck no. I’m just sharing stories from most of my author friends who are struggling to sell their books and make a living at it.
I like to brainstorm with other authors and here are some of the questions we cover.
- Should I make short e-books and sell them for $1.99-$2.99
- Should I turn my blog posts into e-books?
- Should I do join some affiliate sales program?
- Should I make videos and sell them on specific topics?
- Should I offer free or paid Webinars?
- Should I write another memoir?
- Should I start writing novels?
- Should I keep blogging even though it takes time away from my writing?
- Should I get a day job so I can pay for my “hobby?”
- Should I tell writers I make $15,000/month in book sales and make them believe they can too? (Unfortunately some sales people lie and I HATE that.)
Fortunately, most of them write because they love it and have another income stream.
So ladies and gentlemen:
I’m looking for a day job.
There, I said it. So here are some ideas I’ve had, and for those of you who know me, please tell me what you think I should do, and if you have an idea for me, or a job, let me know.
- Apply for the Peace Corps and keep my “Gutsy Living” theme going. Blog about my adventures in Africa or Vanuatu.
- I speak French, and American Airlines is looking for a French flight attendant. Am I too old for that?
- A personal assistant to a CEO
- Work for a non-profit– Which one, other than Peace Corps
- Other? Please let me know.
Next Webinar with expert Jason Matthews on July 11th at 9 a.m., PST. “Metadata Made Easy: Find the Best Keywords for Books, Blog Posts and Social Media.”
Send your questions to me at :Sonia@SoniaMarsh.com.
If you need help with blogging, book marketing and promotion, please contact me and visit my